Name: HUANG Jikun
Professor and Director, Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy
1987-1990 ¡¡Ph.D in Agricultural Economics,
¡¡¡¡University of the Philippines at Los Banos, College, Laguna, Philippines
1980-1984 ¡¡BS in Agricultural Economics,
¡¡¡¡Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210014, China
Areas of Specialization:
Agricultural development; R&D policy; food demand, production, marketing, and trade; applied econometrics; poverty, food security, and rural development; agricultural resource management; modeling and decision support system.
Award for the First and National Finalists ¡°New Century¡¯s Bai-Qian-Wan Talent Program,¡± PRC (2004)
Outstanding Achievement Award for Oversea Returning Chinese (2003)
Winner of the 5th Prizes for Young Scientists of China (top 10 Youth Scientists), People¡¯s Republic of China, 2002
Award for Innovation Team Grant, National Natural Science Foundation of China Committee (NSFC), 2001
Outstanding Youths in National Government Organization, awarded jointly by State Council and Several Ministries, 1999
Award for Outstanding Scientific Progress (Second Prize) on Agricultural R&D Policy Study given by the Ministry of Agriculture of China in 1999
Receiver of National Outstanding Youths Foundation, NSFC, 1998
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Winner of the 4th Nomination Prizes for Young Scientists of China, PRC, 1998
Top Ten Outstanding Youths Award, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 1997
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Top Ten Outstanding Staffs Award, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 1997
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Distinguished Agricultural Scientist, awarded by Ministry of Agriculture, 1997
Sun Yefang¡¯s Economic Prize (the highest economist award in China, given every 3 years), 1997
Award for Outstanding Scientific Progress (Second Prize) on China¡¯s Food Policy Study given by the Ministry of Agriculture of China in 1996
Award for Outstanding Scientific Progress (Third Prize) on Zhejiang¡¯s Seed Supply and Support System, given by Zhejiang Science and Technology Commission in 1996
Award for Outstanding Scientific Progress (Third Prize) on China¡¯s Crop Regionlization, given by the State Agricultural Regional Planning Commission and Ministry of Agriculture, 1991
Received Several Best Quality Paper Awards from Various Academic Associations and Organizations in China
Vice-president of Chinese Association of Agricultural Economics
Vice-President of Chinese Association of Agri-Technology Economics
Member, Export Appraisal Committee of Management Science, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC)
Member, Appraisal Committee of Outstanding Youth Sciences Foundation, NSFC
Member, Graduate Degree Committee, Graduate School, CAS
Member, Academic committee of Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
Member, Academic committee of IGSNRR, CAS
Member, Science, Technology and Education Committee, Ministry of Agriculture
Member, Development Board of Nanjing Agricultural University
Professor or adjunct professor in universities in Zhejiang University, China¡¯s Foreign Trade University, China¡¯s Agricultural University, Nanjing Agricultural University, Xinjiang Agricultural University, and several others universities in China.
Core Member of the Policy Advisory Board to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam.
Member, International Food and Agriculture Trade Policy Council (IPC)¡¡
Executive Regional Director, The Center on Rural Economies of the Americas and Pacific Rim, Institute of Governmental Affairs, University of California, Davis
Council Member, Rural Development Research Consortium Council, University of California, Berkeley
International Fellow, Asia-Pacific Policy Center, University of the Philippines ¨C Diliman
Executive Committee Member, International Agricultural Economist Association
Member of Advisory Board, Agricultural Economics
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development
Member of Editorial Board, China Economic Review
Member of Editorial Advisory Board, Asian Biotechnology and Development Review
Member of Editorial Board, Agricultural Water Management
Member of Editorial Advisory Board for 13 Academic Journals in China, including China Agricultural Economic Review, China Economic Quarterly, Chinese Rural Economy, China Rural Survey, Forecasting, Geographical Research, Global Management Review, Issues in Agricultural Economy, Journal of Agrotechnical Economics, Management Review, Resources Science, Scienitia Agricultura Sinica, and the Latest Monthly Statistics.
Huang¡¯s publications cover a wide range of issues on agricultural and rural development. In the past 15 years he has published about 100 papers in international and more than 120 papers in Chinese journals. He is co-author of 13 books and monographs. In addition, he also contributed about 50 papers (chapters) in various books and proceedings published abroad and more than 30 papers (chapters) in Chinese books.
The followings are the selected 10 representative publications.
1. Huang, Jikun, Yang Jun, Zhigang Xu, Scott Rozelle and Ninghui Li. 2007. ¡°Agricultural Trade Liberalization and Poverty in China,¡± China Economic Review. Vol. 18 (2007):244-265
2. Wang, Jinxia, Zhigang Xu, Jikun Huang and Scott Rozelle, 2006. ¡°Incentives to Managers and Participation of Farmers: Which Matters for Water Management Reform in China?¡± Agricultural Economics, Vol.34. (2006): 315-330.
3. Deng, Xiangzheng, Jikun Huang, Scott Rozelle and Emi Uchida, 2006. ¡°Cultivated Land Conversion and Potential Agricultural Productivity in China¡±, Land Use Policy, 23(2006), pp: 372-384.
4. Huang, Jikun, Ruifa Hu, Scott Rozelle, and Carl Pray, 2005. ¡°Insect-Resistant GM Rice in Farmer Fields: Assessing Productivity and Health Effects in China¡±, Science, 29 April 2005, Vol. 308, pp: 688-690.
5. Huang, Jikun, Scott Rozelle and Min Chang. 2004. ¡°Tracking Distortions in Agriculture: China and Its Accession to the World Trade Organization,¡± The World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 18, No.1, 2004, pp: 59-84.
6. Huang, Jikun, Scott Rozelle, Carl Pray, and Qingfang Wang. 2002. "Plant Biotechnology in China," Science, Vol. 295, 25 January 2002: 674-677.
7. Huang, Jikun, Scott Rozelle, and Carl Pray. 2002. "Enhancing the Crops to Feed the Poor," Nature, Vol. 418, 8 August 2002: 678-684.
8. Huang, Jikun and Howarth Bouis, 2001. ¡°Structural Changes in the Demand for Food in Asia: Empirical Evidence from Taiwan,¡± Agricultural Economics, 26(2001) 57-69.
9. Huang, Jikun and Scott Rozelle. 1996. "Technological Change: The Re-Discovery of the Engine of Productivity Growth in China's Rural Economy," Journal of Development Economics, Vol.49 (1996): 337-369.
10. Huang, Jikun and Scott Rozelle. 1995. "Environmental Stress and Grain Yields in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 77 (1995): 853-864.
Major Research Projects:
1.¡¡China¡¯s Agricultural and Rural Development Policy (CAS)
2. Biotechnology Development, Biosafety and Policies (Funded by NSFC, CAS, IDRC and Oxfam)
3. Public Agricultural Extension Reform (Funded by IDRC and MOA)
4. Trade Liberalization and China¡¯s Agriculture (Funded by CAS, MOA, EU and World Bank)
5. Regoverning Market and Small Farms (Funded by IIED and FAO)
6. Impact Assessments and Policies of Biofuel Development (Funded by ADB, IDRC and others)
7. Climate Changes and China¡¯s Agriculture (Funded by NSF of USA, World Bank and the Ministry of Finance)
Room 3826, Building No. 3
Jia 11, Datun Road, An Wai, Beijing 100101
People¡¯s Republic of China